[buug] WiFi under Ubuntu 6.06 on Compaq Presario M2000 laptop

Joseph Zitt jzitt at josephzitt.com
Wed Jun 14 16:38:58 PDT 2006

Hi, folks. I've been running Ubuntu 6.06 on Compaq Presario M2000
laptop, and almost everything is going well. However, connecting to the
Net via WiFi is proving a challenge. I've checked a host of references,
web pages, and manuals, but it works only intermittently, if at all. I
think it's failing to get a DHCP connection, though I'm uncertain if
that's just a symptom (and perhaps a misleading one). It does seem to
behave properly when I boot into Windows, so I think that shows that the
hardware's OK.

To complicate things, I don't have a Net connection at home, but get on
at a variety of Internet cafes, with a variety of connections, some open
and some with WEP and WPA.

Would anyone be willing to sit down with me sometime at one of the many
downtown Internet joints and help me get it working? I can't afford
appropriate consulting fees, but I can buy you lunch :-)

I'm online once or twice a day, or you can reach me at my cell phone,
which is the phone number listed at http://www.josephzitt.com/resume/ .
(And I should probably update the resume sometime to include what I've
been doing since 2001 :-] ),