[buug] WiFi under Ubuntu 6.06 on Compaq Presario M2000 laptop

Emory Taylor emory.taylor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:47:36 PDT 2006

On 6/15/06, Joseph Zitt <jzitt at josephzitt.com> wrote:
> Emory Taylor wrote:
> > what type of card is it?  are you using networkmanager to deal with it?
> The M2000 has a built in Broadcom BCM4306 802.11b/g device. I'm using

Well there's your obvious problem, you have a broadcom chip.  get a
good howto and install  ndiswrapper instead of trying to use the /very
alpha/ broadcom drivers. My personal preference would just to get a
card with decent open source (none of them are particularly Free)
driver that will be more solid.  Sorry about the bummer news.

> the Networking GUI from the Ubuntu menus to handle it -- is that
> networkmanager? I've also tried gtkwifi, but that doesn't seem to do
> anything at all that I can understand.

Yeah, I forgot dapper does networkmanager by default, which is great.
I wish there was an equivalent *bsd option.