[buug] local calendar app

Ian Zimmerman itz at madbat.mine.nu
Tue Apr 17 07:48:21 PDT 2007

I am desperately searching for a serviceable calendar/appointment
program.

So far I have been using the calendar module of Emacs.  As some of you
know I have been initiated into the Church of Emacs, so the obvious
objections don't apply, in fact I like it quite well as far as usability
goes.  The problem is that now I want to share the data with the laptop,
and the pattern I have developed in such cases is to export the data
to a server.  This has worked well in other cases (example: browser
bookmarks) but it wouldn't work for Emacs because I keep Emacs open
all the time, and there are occassions when I have it open on both
the big box and the laptop, so a race arises (the last closed Emacs
wins and gets to store its changes).

Now, although I have root on the server, I don't control it physically,
and this makes me feel uneasy about storing the data in plain text
form.  No problem: just add a gpg command to the script doing the
export/import.  The reason I mention this is to rule out various web
based solutions (phpgroupware, horde, not to mention Google Calendar),
as well as variants on serving the data files with NFS.

So, the field is narrowed to local apps which are lightweight enough
that they can be opened and closed each time a change is made.  But here
the choice seems pretty dismal.  Most such apps including Sunbird can't
even handle our next holiday: Victoria Day, the Monday on or before
May 24th, or equivalently, the 2nd last Monday in May.  The closest
perhaps is "remind"; I only object to its ugly (to me) Tk GUI,
and the annoying fact that in its reporting mode (like "remind -h '*2' ")
it doesn't output the time of appointments, only date.

Suggestions.

--
This line is completely ham.