[buug] local calendar app

Emory Taylor emory.taylor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:51:28 PDT 2007

I have a solution you might be interested but it has a very big "but"
attached to it.

I think many people have been suffering from sub par calendaring. The
solution I am currently trying to use right now comes from the pimlico
project which is a very new PIM "suite" of standalone apps meant to
work well on different handheld devices (maemo platform and openmoko
specifically) but they are all very lightweight gtk apps based on top
of EDS so there's good integration into the desktop without all the
evolution bloat (it will share all the data with evolution if you
don't run in terror from it immediately). Combine it with a tinymail
based email client in the future and I might even want to go return to
a desktop based mail solution.

BUT the pimlico suite is under heavy development right now as it is
very new, so, um, recurrence isn't currently supported in dates
(version 0.4.2) from the gui. you would have to fire up evolution to
get recurrence to work properly right now. Evolution (2.10.1),
however, can easily do recurrence. One would have to wait for the
dates app to mature a little more, or you can hold your nose and fire
up a recent version of evo if you aren't completely allergic to it
(2.10.x hasn't been all that terrible - at least as a calendar
solution)

sorry for losing a lot of geek cred by not just suggesting
ssh+screen+emacs? I'm still not sure why you've ruled that out.

Here's the requisite links
Pimlico
http://www.pimlico-project.org/
Debian/Ubuntu repository homepage