[buug] Bandwidth restriction in Apache

Wm. F. Honeycutt bill.honeycutt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 14:01:37 PST 2008

I have a client who implemented a successful web site in which they rely
extensively on Flash and streamed videos.  This is an Apache2 installation
with a single virtual host.

In the first month of operation, the bandwidth exceeded their maximum and
they incurred additional charges for bandwidth usage.

To keep their costs down, they might consider redesigning the site to rely
less heavily on video (not a likely option), but I also want to suggest
technical means to "throttle" total bandwidth based on individual session
usage.  I think that they should initially allow unrestricted bandwidth
access,  but if the same session begins to drain resources then reduce
throughput to that user.

Does anyone have suggestions about acceptable ways to solve this problem?
Is this too granular to implement with ease?

Happy Hollidays and TIA!