[buug] Bandwidth restriction in Apache

Wm. F. Honeycutt bill.honeycutt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 17:44:20 PST 2008

Jon, thanks for the suggestion of mod_bwshare...I was looking at mod_bw but
didn't want to taint responses by suggesting that module specifically.

I'm recommending that they re-evaluate the amount of video served, although
this was intentionally designed to be quite "busy" and appealing to a
certain market (think "point, click, twitch" types).  The amount of traffic
isn't trivial, approaching terabytes on a monthly basis.  The host company
is concerned that their first invoice will result in cancellation of their
contract. : )

they should initially allow unrestricted bandwidth access,  but if the same
>> session begins to drain resources then reduce throughput to that user.
>>

> That's the harder solution. It's easier to simply say "this is the max
> amount of bandwidth this IP can use at any given time."

I think the client will balk at "marginalizing" end-user experience.  They
opted for this very "busy" look and feel knowing full well that it would
require a lot of resources.  That being said, this is their first statement
with big numbers.  The rubber finally meets the road.

Look at traffic shaping/bw limit on the load balancer itself (they are using
> one, right?). Since the IP is virtualized, figuring out how to throttle and
> release for spikes in traffic (they are doing some kind of BW monitoring,
> right?) will help, but the better bet is to build a smarter front end
> between themselves and the router their provider uses.

Johan, we have a WebMux, currently balancing incoming traffic only.  Inbound
and outbound traffic go through Cisco ASA, also.

>  look in to using either OpenBSD pair with PF/CARP or a used F5.

This is a hosted environment, so that degree of customization isn't
practical, unfortunately.

> Of course, they could also just upgrade their monthly bw cap to something
> more reasonable for serving videos.

Very doable.  They can afford it, but in these times everyone is trying to
look like a super-manager.

Or, they could serve the videos from something like S3, and use Amazons
> price structure (scales.. decently).

Ah, s3 is an interesting idea.  That would be quite straight forward to
migrate, though we might face some throughput issues which wouldn't be
controlable using the cloud.