[buug] [lugradio at gmail.com: BUUG Exhibiting at LugRadio Live USA]

Jon McClintock jammer at weak.org
Mon Feb 25 10:18:38 PST 2008

FYI

----- Forwarded message from lugradio team <lugradio at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 23:01:49 +0000
From: lugradio team <lugradio at gmail.com>
To: jammer at weak.org
Subject: BUUG Exhibiting at LugRadio Live USA

Howdy

As you may or may not be aware, the very first LugRadio Live USA in
2008 is taking place at The Metreon in San Francisco. The event will
be happening on the 12th and 13th April 2008, and will provide the
unique atmosphere of the UK event, but in glorious San Francisco.
LugRadio Live has developed a strong reputation for providing a range
of topics about free software, Open Source, digital rights, technology
and more, a compelling list of speakers, exhibitors and birds of a
feather sessions, and wrapping it all in a unique, fun, loose, social
and inclusive event, which is often described as combining the
atmosphere of a rock concert and a computer conference.

At LugRadio Live USA 2008 we plan on bringing this unique atmosphere
to the USA, and inviting around 30 speakers, a full cast of exhibiting
projects and companies, an eclectic range of BOF sessions, and plenty
of additional sessions such as our debate discussion panel, a showcase
of five minute talks, tech demos, and of course a live recording of
LugRadio in front of an audience. We expect around 500 - 700 attendees
to the event.

Anyway, to the business in hand...

As mentioned, we'll be having an exhibition area where we want to have
projects and companies who do cool things. In the past we've had open
source projects showing off their work such as KDE, Gnome, and Ubuntu,
companies who work with Linux like Neuros, distributors like Sun, Red
Hat and Novell, and also a range of user groups looking to publicise
themselves to the community at large. We were wondering whether
Berkeley UUG would be interested in having an exhibition stand at the
event this year?
Exhibitor space is free; we don't charge, because LugRadio Live is a
community event. The focus is on people having a great time, not in
making money :-) We'd like it if your exhibition stand could be
something fun and interactive, rather than just a table with leaflets
and advertising.

Another thing: as part of the event, we provide each attendee with a
registration bag, containing some free items from different
organisations. We try to keep the items in this bag as interesting as
possible, and in the past this has included pens, badges, software,
clothing and more. If you'd like to contribute something to the bag
this year for LugRadio Live USA 2008, we'd be happy to include it.
Both the goodie bag and an exhibition stand are excellent ways for you
to be associated with a strongly community and Open Source focused
event, and the demographic it attracts. For the bag, we will need 500
of whatever you choose to contribute, and all you need to do is ship
them to us, there is no charge in addition to sending the items - we
will add them to the bags ready for the event.

LugRadio Live in the UK has developed a strong reputation for being
'the' community event in the UK, and we are looking to bring this to
USA. We would love if you could be one of the organisations who helped
make this happen. :)

If you're not the right person to ask about attending, we'd be
grateful if you could either pass it on to the right person for us or
get back in touch to let us know who to contact.

You can check who is speaking and how the event is shaping up by
checking http://lugradio.org/live/USA2008/

Any questions or queries, feel free to drop us an email in reply to
this email, and we really hope you can be a part of the event. :)

Thanks!

Chris Procter and the LugRadio Team