[buug] BALUG 2008-07-15!: Mike Linksvayer (Creative Commons); and other BALUG News

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 12 10:31:42 PDT 2008

BALUG 2008-07-15!: Mike Linksvayer (Creative Commons); and other BALUG News

Contents:
* BALUG 2008-07-15!: Mike Linksvayer (Creative Commons)
* LinuxWorld, BALUG & SF-LUG, Installfest, etc.
* upcoming BALUG meetings
* Contacts, etc.

------------------------------

For the BALUG[0] 2008-07-15 meeting we are proud to present:

Mike Linksvayer[1], Vice President of Creative Commons

2008-07-15 [16]Mike Linksvayer, Vice President, [2]Creative Commons
Mike Linksvayer is Vice President of Creative Commons, having
joined Creative Commons as CTO in April 2003.  Previously he
co-founded [3]Bitzi.  He has over ten years experience as an
enterprise software, web, and multimedia developer and consultant
and holds a B.A. in economics from the [4]University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign.

Creative Commons (CC)
Share, Remix, Reuse.  Legally.
Creative Commons provides free tools that let authors, scientists,
artists, and educators easily mark their creative work with the
freedoms they want it to carry.  You can use CC to change your
copyright terms from "All Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights
Reserved."  Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization.
Everything Creative Commons does, including the software created
by Creative Commons, is free.

Time, location, cost (if you want dinner), etc., please see:
http://www.balug.org/#Meetings%20(general)

If you intend to come, please RSVP to: rsvp at balug.org
Why RSVP?  Well, we probably wouldn't turn you away, but the RSVPs
really help the Four Seas Restaurant plan settings/food/staffing and
help ensure that we're able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

0. http://www.balug.org/
1. http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21
2. http://creativecommons.org/
3. http://bitzi.com/
4. http://www.uiuc.edu/

------------------------------

LinuxWorld[5], BALUG & SF-LUG, Installfest, etc.

LinuxWorld Conference & Expo[5] is coming soon to San Francisco.

BALUG, SF-LUG[6], and some additional [L]UGs will be sharing a
combined/shared [L]UG "booth" at LinuxWorld Conference & Expo,
so ... come by, say "hi", tell folks to come check us out.
To volunteer to help out / coordinate etc. ... take a look
at the BALUG "talk"[7] list or archive thereof - there should be
some significant updates on that within the week.

Installfest for Schools[8]
Alameda County Computer Resource Center (ACCRC)[9] will supply hardware
for massive Installfest for Schools, to donate open source (Ubuntu[10])
computers to schools in need.  The event is organized by Untangle[11]
and GES[12].  LinuxWorld attendees are encouraged to join the
installfest by installing Ubuntu, hacking older hardware, or donating
unwanted computers.  For more information see:
http://www.untangle.com/installfest

5. http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/
6. http://www.sf-lug.org/
8. http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/ehall//SN264817
9. http://www.accrc.org/
10. http://www.ubuntu.com/
11. http://www.untangle.com/
12. http://www.ges.com/

upcoming BALUG meetings ... mark your calendars :-):

* 2008-07-15 Mike Linksvayer, Vice President, Creative Commons
* 2008-08-19 Chris Dibona
* 2008-09-16[13] Ian Murdock, founder of Debian
* ... BALUG generally meets the third Tuesday of the month. Subscribe to
  our low volume "announce"[14] list to be sure and hear about upcoming
  meetings and speakers/presentations.

13. This meeting will occur at a different venue; watch for updates.