[buug] BerkITP Locations, Evans, Talks - 12 hour update

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Jun 7 01:05:56 PDT 2008

Hi everyone. Some final last 12 hours before meeting notes about the
event.

I was asked the following in an email directly to me, not the list.
Since I think these are useful questions, and time is too short to ask
the sender to mail the question to the list so all can benefit from the
answer, I'm just quoting it anonymously & providing the answers for
everyone.

> TY for the invite!

Glad you're interested.

> I'd be possibly interested and able to attend one or more of ITP TALKS
> track sub-events in the later part of the afternoon Saturady, although I
> certainly would NOT be bringing my computer/laptop or food/drink for the
> INSTALLFEST or POTLUCK event.

That's fine. Come for as much or little of the event/activities as you
like.  & don't worry if you haven't RSVP'd - that's only helpful, not
necessary, so come if you want whether or not you've rsvp'd.

> Any idea which of the below OPEN DISCUSSION topics and MORE TALK IDEAS 0)
> - 8) are most likely to occur as planned ?

I will be there for all the Open Discussion times, if anyone wants to
talk about them, or if by consensus we talk as a group or subgroups
about other topics.

This is the first meeting of the Berk ITP, and so it is basically a "get
the thing off the ground" meeting, "get it started" meeting, a planning
& working toward whatever the attendees want to try to bring into
reality in the future meeting.

Probabilistic RSVP % wise attendance is now about 5 people, which is
fantastic for a first meeting, only announced 2 weeks ago to a small
list & to other groups only 1 day in advance, as far as I am concerned.

So, it's a very small # of people, and unless a huge # of unRSVP'd
persons show up who want to keep to the stated topic/time format, we're
totally free to spend our time any way we like - keeping to the proposed
subject schedule, or changing it at will - it's all fine with me.

We don't have any outside speakers coming for this meeting (a talk about
Backups is a possibility for next meeting).  If someone wants to discuss
the "more talk ideas", that's fine with me for our small 1st group
meeting.

> Also, is any sort of a physical sign-in process required for admittance
> to Evans Hall and its Room 5, or to other alternative campus locations
> where the ITP TALKS are to take place ??

Evans hall is a ~40 year old 10 story building (the largest on campus)
with offices for faculty, grad students, staff, and with many
classrooms. It is a california public building & open to the public
every day it is open, & on Saturdays from about 8a to about 6pm. I'm
told to expect only a few of the entrance doors to be open - probably on
the ground floor NorthWest corner, & perhaps the 1st floor main door.
The ground floor is where classroom 5 & others are, so try that NW door.
There's no door guard, no sign in person or desk, just go in & look for
room 5 (it's on the west side of the ground floor).

On saturday, there are possibly a few small classes meeting, but the
building will probably have only about 1% or less of the # of people
that are there during spring & fall week days.

Depending on how many people show up & when, we could stay in one of the
class rooms, or move to one of the lounges or outside park like areas.
One possibility is to go to the cafe at the Moffit undergrad library,
about 200 yards downhill from Evans.  I'll post a sign with my cell
phone # at room 5 & probably also on one of the NW ground floor entrance
doors, so you can call me if necessary.

Ask any final questions to this list, & I'll try to answer them 8a-12n
tomorrow.

Thanks for your interest, come for as much or little as you like, & I
hope you can make it!