[buug] Windsor, Keith: UBThere?- was Re: Tom Belote is willing to speak about backup

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon Jun 9 21:23:26 PDT 2008

Hi Windsor & Keith - will you please both reply to this message? (Or
you, dear reader, if you'd be willing to commit to attend this talk.)

In this thread you both said you'd be interested in this.

Since the BITP is a new group, there is not yet many "policies &
procedures" in place as to how to handle things like speaker selection,
etc.  See my previous post in this thread for my ideas & suggestions.

Right now, Having Tom speak seems like a good idea, so I'm thinking: you
two tell me the probability you each will be there Sat July 5 to hear
Tom if he can come & talk, & if ether of you says "100%, yes I'll
definitely commit to being there" - or, if anyone else on this list
speaks up & makes such a commitment, then I say lets get on with giving
Tom a definite invitation, say we've definitely got at least one person
who will come to hear him talk, & get a commitment from him to come
speak.

So, Windsor, Keith, or anyone else: are you willing to commit 100% to be
there for his talk?

I'd like to get this done this week, so there is a lot of time to put
into announcements that we have this talk scheduled, so people know they
can come to hear this talk.

Also - Windsor (or whoever states a 100% commitment to be there) - since
Keith said in his recent reply he'll be out of town for a few weeks, in
line with my idea of "self sufficiency", if you commit to being there,
since you seem to me like a capable guy, would you be willing to handle
arrangements with Tom?  I'm suspecting all it involves is a few email,
or a phone conversation or two, to find out any special reauirements or
concerns he has, communicate them to the list, & someone will hopefully
get anything necesary taken care of.

I'd bet most speakers need no more than a video display, & there is one
in one of the rooms I'm going to try to get arranged, so basically
that's all taken care of for you.

We also need to figure out a time for the talk, & how long a talk will
he give? I'm open to anything reasonable. It could be 15m to 2h,
whatever Tom wants to do, & you all want to hear.  As a starting point,
how is 1p-2pm?  Part of the reason I suggest that time is cause I'm
gonna try to see if we can get the video live streamed, & I'm gonna try
to contact 10 LUGs around the Americas to ask them if they want to set
up simultaneous events & receive the transmission for their members. 1p
Berkeley = 4pm Boston/NY/DC = 5P Rio de Janeiro = 3P Lima (OLPC land) =
10A Honolulu = 3P Chicago = 5ASun Tokyo = 9P Dublin = 10P Rome = 4ASun
Beijing = 1:45ASun Kathmandu = 7ASun Vladivostok = 11P Baghdad = 9P
Timbuktu

I do suppose someone (whom I'm guessing will be me) has to go to the
room a week or more ahead of time & get the operating procedures for the
video display, & verify it is working, & get a phone # for the Av
department at Berkeley in case the equipment isn't working.