[buug] Shall we invite Tom for Backup? - was Re: Tom Belote is willing to speak about backup

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Jun 10 17:59:55 PDT 2008

Hi everyone - I'm reposting this because I see it didn't get onto the
buug archives, & since there's been no replies in one day, and this is a
time crucial matter for planning & scheduling, I want to make sure this
gets to the list.

Will _you_ dear reader please reply to the list on this message (if
noone has yet) just to say you've received it - so at least I'll know it
got through?  Thankyou.

=========
Hi Windsor & Keith (and Everyone) - will you please both reply to this
message? (Or
you, dear reader, if you'd be willing to commit to attend this talk.)

W & K: In this thread you both said you'd be interested in this.

Since the BITP is a new group, there is not yet many "policies &
procedures" in place as to how to handle things like speaker selection,
etc.  See my previous post in this thread for my ideas & suggestions.

Right now, Having Tom speak seems like a good idea, so I'm thinking: you
two tell me the probability you each will be there Sat July 5 to hear
Tom if he can come & talk, & if ether of you says "100%, yes I'll
definitely commit to being there" - or, if anyone else on this list
speaks up & makes such a commitment, then I say lets get on with giving
Tom a definite invitation, say we've definitely got at least one person
who will come to hear him talk, & get a commitment from him to come
speak.

So, Windsor, Keith, or anyone else: are you willing to commit 100% to be
there for his talk?

I'd like to get this done this week, so there is a lot of time to put
into announcements that we have this talk scheduled, so people know they
can come to hear this talk.

Also - Windsor (or whoever states a 100% commitment to be there) - since
Keith said in his recent reply he'll be out of town for a few weeks, in
line with my idea of "self sufficiency", if you commit to being there,
since you seem to me like a capable guy, would you be willing to handle
arrangements with Tom?  I'm suspecting all it involves is a few email,
or a phone conversation or two, to find out any special reauirements or
concerns he has, communicate them to the list, & someone will hopefully
get anything necesary taken care of.

I'd bet most speakers need no more than a video display, & there is one
in one of the rooms I'm going to try to get arranged, so basically
that's all taken care of for you.

We also need to figure out a time for the talk, & how long a talk will
he give? I'm open to anything reasonable. It could be 15m to 2h,
whatever Tom wants to do, & you all want to hear.  As a starting point,
how is 1p-2pm?  Part of the reason I suggest that time is cause I'm
gonna try to see if we can get the video live streamed, & I'm gonna try
to contact 10 LUGs around the Americas to ask them if they want to set
up simultaneous events & receive the transmission for their members. 1p
Berkeley = 4pm Boston/NY/DC = 5P Rio de Janeiro = 3P Lima (OLPC land) =
10A Honolulu = 3P Chicago = 5ASun Tokyo = 9P Dublin = 10P Rome = 4ASun
Beijing = 1:45ASun Kathmandu = 7ASun Vladivostok = 11P Baghdad = 9P
Timbuktu

I do suppose someone (whom I'm guessing will be me) has to go to the
room a week or more ahead of time & get the operating procedures for the
video display, & verify it is working, & get a phone # for the Av
department at Berkeley in case the equipment isn't working.

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 15:09:09 -0700, "Windsor Schmidt"
<windsor.schmidt at gmail.com> said:
> I'm interested in this. Currently I use rsync to backup from my two
> machines two my network gateway / 'sandbox' server. It works well, but
> I'd be happy to hear others' perspectives on personal backup routines
> under Linux.
>
> -Windsor
>

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Andrew Fife <afife at untangle.com> wrote:
> > Keith Goodman wrote:
> >>I'd like to hear a talk on backup programs, especially duplicity.
> >
> > John Reagan responded:
> >>Great idea. Do yo know anyone who might could give it??
> >
> > I spoke with Tom Belote and he would be willing to give a talk on backup
> > from a Linux perspective at the July meeting.  Tom is quite knowledgeable
> > about backup having spent much of 06/07 writing a backup application for a
> > previous startup.
> >
> > Please let me know if this is something that BUUG is interested in.
> >
> > -Andrew
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Fife
> > Untangle - The Open Source Network Gateway
> > www.untangle.com/download
> >
> > 650.425.3327 desk
> > 415.806.6028 cell

                          love email again