[buug] July 5 talk about Backups RSVP% =?? - Please post yours, Thanks.

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Jun 10 18:39:30 PDT 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:08:37 -0700, "Windsor Schmidt"
<windsor.schmidt at gmail.com> said:
> I'm not 100% for July 5th at the moment, but haven't had time to look at
> my schedule yet.

I'm thinking, maybe we might be better to do speaker interest
determination RSVP % wise?  Because, probably few people can make a
commitment 100% a month in advance, but as a group, using %'s, we can
get a probabilistic idea of if there will be attendees (I'm thinking
there probably will be definite interest in the Backup talk).

By the way, as a reference point, at the last meeting IIRC about 10 of
11 people raised hands for "I'd like to have talks at the meeting".

OK, Windsor, & everyone else - Tom's Backup talk fate is in your hands
now - Everyone please - If you think there is a 50-100% probability you
will attend the meeting & want to hear a talk about Backups, please

The proposed time for the talk would be 1-2PM.

Ex:
July 5 Backup talk RSVP%=xx
where xx is:

your best current estimate
of the probability you'd attend on Saturday July 5,
using probability of 100 75 or 50%,
& PUT your % # IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE MESSAGE. (Thankyou)

Equation between probability % and english language concepts:
100 = definitely
75  = more likely than not
50  = maybe

=====
Referencing:
I spoke with Tom Belote and he would be willing to give a talk on backup
from a Linux perspective at the July meeting.  Tom is quite
knowledgeable
about backup having spent much of 06/07 writing a backup application for
previous startup.

Please let me know if this is something that BUUG is interested in.

-Andrew

--
Andrew Fife
Untangle - The Open Source Network Gateway

650.425.3327 desk
415.806.6028 cell