[buug] [svlug] Good try, and suggestions- was: RE: What went wrong? was: Re: Installfest?

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Jun 10 21:56:15 PDT 2008

----- Original message -----
From: "Tony Hartzell" <hartzellt at charter.net>
To: "'john_re'" <john_re at fastmail.us>, svlug at lists.svlug.org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:41:44 -0700
Subject: RE: [svlug] Good try, and suggestions- was: RE: What went
wrong? was: Re:  Installfest?

John,
   You and Chris are right, I didn't see (or look for) a lower level, I
just assumed the level accessible from Hearst Mining Cr would be the
entrance.
   What with the traffic and all, I doubt I'll be revisiting UCB any
time soon, even if I'm certain of where I'm going. As for carpooling, I
could only accommodate someone with very little equipment who would be
willing to leave early. In addition to my computer stuff, I have a
rather bulky PA system that I use to record speakers at 7:00 Saturdays
in Gilroy (for another group I belong to).
   If you try this again, I would suggest that you provide contact info
for you and any other organizers involved, and display it PROMINENTLY in
your announcement. Also, get the venue nailed down. I won't attend
another installfest where internet access is iffy.
   If I would have found out on Saturday that you were just sitting
around talking, I would've been even more peeved. I was really looking
forward to some hands-on activity with a few gurus (Rick Moen among
them) available for advice. I was hoping to leave with a secure LAMP
server, having learned many administration techniques for Debian,
Apache, MySQL, PHP and other things that to an expert are obvious, but
don't occur to me.