[buug] [svlug] Brief Success Summary, Call4Speakers, Attendees, July5 Sat BerkeleyITP was:Re: Good try, and suggestions...

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue Jun 10 21:57:41 PDT 2008

----- Original message -----
From: "john_re" <john_re at fastmail.us>
To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:20:57 -0700
Subject: [svlug] Brief Success Summary, Call4Speakers, Attendees, July5
Sat BerkeleyITP was:Re:  Good try, and suggestions...

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:22:24 -0700, "Chris DiBona" <cdibona at gmail.com>
said:
> I gotta say, when I see the work and effort you put into this letter,
> I gotta wonder how it was that the installfest didn't work out
> organizationally....

Hey! Thanks for the kind words, Chris!

You're not just writing cause I used a maps.google.com link in my
announcement, are you? ;)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=37.873592,-122.257807&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=37.873625,-122.257807&sspn=0.008825,0.012703&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

[Damn googlers, trying to get their company's name in the press all the
time. ;) ]

Actually, it was a really great event, awesomely exceeded my
expectations (except for the two people out of 14 who left, tragically
after 30-40 minutes, on a 6 hour long event, almost as everyone else was
arriving), and everyone had a good time.

Super short summary:  only two people _wanted_ install help, & they got
the help.  The rest all just came cause they wanted to converse with one
another. They did, and it was great. 11 people, besides myself, came
from as far as Pleasanton, San Francisco & Sacramento.  And 6 of the 11
came from seeing announcements that only went out about 24 hours before
the event!

Rember - I'm just organizing this part time, by myself, volunteer,
unpaid, on top of all my normal responsibilities I've got.  & I only
came up with the idea 2.5 weeks before the event.

When it was over, I ran some errands, came home & fell asleep.  Sunday,
I had to spend most of my time catching up on my responsibilities, but I
took an hour or so to do a writeup about the event when it was still
fresh in my mind. But, there wasn't enough time to get the announcement
out.

Monday, more regular responsibilities, & a bit of work on planning for
next months meeting, and.my note to Tony Hartzell to try to find out why
he wasn't able to get to the meeting since he'd been right there.  Still
no time to get the meeting summary out.

Today, more regular responsibilities, more work on July 5th Saturday
meeting.  Read Tony's message & write reply.

And, hopefully, within the next 24 hours I'm going to be able to make
time to get the meeting summary out, first to the buug.org mailing list,
then svlug, then the rest of the groups I posted the meeting
announcement to.
http://www.weak.org/pipermail/buug/2008-June/thread.html

===== CALL FOR SPEAKERS, ALL AMERICAS EVENT, VIDEO STREAMED TALKS
Chris, part of the reason I'm responding to your email so fast is that
you & Leslie & Guido & Andrew Morton are on my todo list for the next
few days to get a "Call for Speakers" message to in the hopes that you
all might know someone who might like to speak at a BSD/GNU-Linux event
- our Berkeley ITP July 5 Saturday meeting, hopefully 10AM-6PM at UCB -
or any of the upcoming meetings - the plan is to have it the first
Saturday of each month.

I thought, since you're likely more familiar with the BITP I'm creating
than L G or AM, I'd just give you a heads up right now the request will
be coming your way, & it would perhaps give you a day or two extra to
see if there's anyone interested in talking.  This would be helpful to
the Berk Talks, cause the sooner we can get speakers confirmed, the
sooner we can put those talks into announcements.

The July 5 meeting will be SPECIAL, cause I'm gonna send announcements
to about 10 lugs around the AMERICAS (10 cause that's all I can afford
time to do, but I will welcome anyone to forward the announcements to
other LUGs & invite them to join too) to invite them to schedule
SIMULTANEOUS Installfest Talks Potluck events AT THEIR LOCATIONS on July
5, and attempt to RECEIVE THE VIDEO STREAM OF THE TALKS from Berkeley.

This is all being done on a "best efforts, let's all get together & help
each other & see if we can get this video streaming transmission &
reception done" manner.

I remember when, who was it? I think Don Marti & Ian Cluft? (& I think
there's that other fellow who worked at Cisco & was very involved with
helping SVLUG) worked on live streaming of SVLUG several months. Back in
about 2001? At Cisco, IIRC.  & I personally (with assistance) have video
recorded about 5 SVLUG meetings (but have never been able to make the
time to get them online yet - they are "in the can", & I'll put them up
if I get the time).  So, I've got experience doing the video recording,
but the streaming will be a step up.

All that will be in my July 5 BITP meeting announcement, which I hope to
send out this week, to give 3 weeks advance notice to bay area potential
attendees, instead of just one day!

Note to anyone who wants to attend or pitch in helping with video
streaming: join the buug.org list & say "Hi, I'm interested in
...whatever".

===== MEMORIES, FROM THE CORNERS OF MY MIND
By the way, Chris - I doubt _you_ remember, but the first 2 SVLUG
meetings I attended were at Carl's Jr on North 1st St, and IIRC I think
maybe you had just become president, and Dan Kionka was there!

Another interesting thing: I've got this thing I wrote about 2 weeks ago
on my computer, called "I went to a Garden party", that I'm wanting to
send to the SVLUG list, but I've been too busy.  Maybe I can make a
moment to get that out this week.  Look for it!  Coming to your computer
email list soon!

===== CALL FOR SPEAKERS JULY 5 SATURDAY BERKELEY
So: Chris, and _anyone_ - if you know anyone who has anything
interesting to say about BSD/GNU-Linux, and could give a talk Sat July 5
in Berkeley, talk length = 15minutes to 1 hour (we're flexible & will
accommodate your talk length) - I hereby invite you to POST A MESSAGE to
BUUG.ORG mail list, suggesting your talk idea.

This is a community run talk accepting managed system - if people on the
list respond saying they will come to hear the talk, then the speaker is
invited.  Ie, we don't have a "speaker coordinator", and I'm trying to
avoid having that job. (I spose we could have a speaker coordinator, if
anyone wanted to volunteer to do it.)

I will, though, arrange for location rooms & video displays &
microphones, etc.

We will need VOLUNTEERS to help with VIDEO streaming, hw, sw,
networking, sysadmin, av, etc, the whole deal - so if anyone wants to
help with that they are especially invited to join buug.org.  Just doo
it!

===== SOME POSSIBLE TALK CATEGORIES, SUBJECTS:
Possible talk categories & times:
12N     DISTRIBUTIONS - BSD's, Ubuntu Debian RH Suse etc
1P      PROGRAMMING/DATABASES - Python, PERL, PHP, TCL, C/C++, Ruby,
	LISP, FORTRAN, COBOL, MSQL, etc.
2P      VIDEOCONFERENCE testing; NETWORKING
3P      BAD - Bay Area Debian MEETING. http://bad.debian.net
4P      GUIs - KDE, GNOME.
	USER APPLICATIONS - Word Proc, Web Browser, Video, Audio
5P      ORGANIZING future meetings,

Possible subjects:
1) Difference between Ubuntu8.4 & Debian
2) OLPC - Sugar OS project
3) Google Summer of Code - how you can help
4) PGP & personal keysigning
5) Mozilla 3 - the beta's features & how to help
  - the "show me the code" session?
6) Python08 conference highlights
7) LinuxPicnic (in SiValley) preparations/planning/how to help
8) LinuxWorld Expo San Francisco group booths

===== ATTEND BERKELEY INSTALLFEST TALKS POTLUCK JULY 5 SATURDAY
Anyone interested in ATTENDING a great meeting July 5, Installfest,
Talks, Potluck, please join the buug.org mailing list. Say "hi" if you
wish, or send and RSVP% too, or just lurk.

===== SUMMARY OF UPCOMING MESSAGES (Hopefully being sent this week):
June 7 Meeting summary,
July 5 Call for Speakers,
July 5 Meeting Announcement,
July 5 Americas "join us with your local simultaneous
       Installfest Talks Potluck & receive talk video stream"

Best wishes, John