[buug] [svlug] Brief Success Summary, Call4Speakers, Attendees, July5 Sat BerkeleyITP was:Re: Good try, and suggestions...

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:18:58 PDT 2008

Aaron Porter wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:45:30PM -0700, Chris Miller wrote:
>
>> D is an up-and-coming language which focuses on real-world usability
>> instead of bleeding-edge academic features or rock-solid speed or
>> reliability.
>>

> 	Ok, I'll bite. What kind of real world programming tasks are best
> for a language that offers slow, unreliable functionality?
While it is about as fast as C/C++, it doesn't take the stance that
everything is secondary to performance.  As such it does feature
luxuries such as automated garbage collection, or the absolutely
brain-dead "everything must be caught as an exception, or else it must
be a compile-time-error" dementia of Java.

If you can make a Java program compile, it is possible to catch every
error through exception handling, bar none.  This is excellent for
applications where reliability is critical, since if the application is
coded correctly is is possible to recover from every error.  On the
other hand, it does significantly decrease the overall performance of
the application.

C and C++ are quite possibly the fastest programming languages out
there, but they are more difficult to code in due to their lack of
integrated garbage collection.  There are solutions such as Bohemian
Garbage Collection and Boost C++'s shared pointers, but (with the
exception of Bohemian) they still require manual resolution of when an
object falls out of scope.  While there are a lot of programmers who are
very talented and have no problem tracking scope information, a lot of
newer programmers are not as comfortable with their concepts and forget
to do that a lot (causing memory leaks which make restarting the program
necessary).  The vast majority of programmers are not of the caliber to
competently use C and/or C++ effectively, as the "world of software" for
Windows has so convieniently demonstrated.

Digital Mars D provides the performance on par with C and C++ still with
most of the reliability features of slower languages such as Java.  As
such I would not term it the end-all language (it's not yet managed to
beat either camp in either way) but it makes an absolutely fantastic
middle ground.  It's not specifically for RAD (Rapid Application
Development) (languages such as Ruby and Java) and it's not for
bleeding-edge performance (embedded C/C++, ASM, etc.)

It's the only middle-ground I have yet seen.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!