[buug] ProgLangTalkPosbility Interest?? DigitalMarsD 6BenefitWordsGoHere

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:02:58 PDT 2008

Overall some excellent suggestions!

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:33 AM, john_re <john_re at fastmail.us> wrote:

snip!

> 5) I'll put your description in the announcement, & say "if you would
> like to hear this talk, please joing the buug.org mailing list & reply
> to the "ProgLangTalkPosbility Interest?? DigitalMarsD
> 6BenefitWordsGoHere" thread and say you will come to this talk, then it
> will be scheduled.
> 6) My suggestion is plan to give a 15 min talk time slot the first time
> you give the presentation, if this is the first time you've given a talk
> about it. Baby step your way up to bigger talks.  You can always come
> back in 6 months with a better/morecomplete/whatever talk.

There's already a significant amount of material for talks already out
there from the language creator's own presentations.  I'm a computer
scientist by vocation, and I could literally talk for hours on the
subject and be just happy as a clam!  Not everyone appreciates it as
much as I do, however, so I know I have to limit myself.

15 minutes should be plenty, however.

> 7) Hey - I'm just making up the rules as I go. The above are guidline
> suggestions. Do whatever you feel is appropriate.  If someone says "yes"
> on the list to hearing your talk, you're on.

Well, for lack of some better ideas about how to run the operation,
I'll just work with the rules as you have outlined.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:51 AM, john_re <john_re at fastmail.us> wrote:
> 4.5) In addition, put in your post as long a description as you'd like,
> so when people see the 75 word description, then come to your message on
> the list, there they can read your _full_ description of what the talk
> will be about, so they can decide if they want to hear it.
>
> Note, since we're pioneering this "talk approval method" thing doing the
> mailing list "Ill come to that talk" thing, your long description &
> short description should be "sales & marketing" oriented - communicate
> the BENEFITS, (not just the Features & Advantages, ), cause you have to
> MOTIVATE the reader to TAKE THE ACTION OF POSTING A "YES I'LL ATTEND"
> MESSAGE, cause you need to get someone to say they;ll attend in order to
> get approved for a talk time slot.
>
> (Err, another way to do this entirely, would be just to prepare a talk,
> & we'll post a time slot sign up sheet at the meeting, & you can sign up
> for a slot, & if someone actually shows up to hear your talk during that
> time slot, THEN you are on. [Of course, you could even choose to give
> the talk to empty chairs if you wish. I don't mind. :) ])  PS - see the
> BAD shotgun rules for the spirit of doing this, at bad.debian.net.  I
> mean it - really do read those rules, & email me that you've read them.
> They really are great.  They say - do your best, & don't complain if it
> doesn't work out. :)

You read the shotgun rules at the first meeting, and yes, I did go
home and read them again.  I thought they were so funny that I printed
them out and shared them with my other family members.

I'm a little reluctant to call a time slot so assertively.  Digital
Mars D is really not ultra-specifically Linux, and IMHO more
Linux-specific media should come first.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!