[buug] Thanks buug.org. Who is buug.org's web&list master...? Hosting?

Aaron Porter atporter at primate.net
Thu Jun 12 10:23:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 01:48:27AM -0700, john_re wrote:

> Whom do I thank for having the site, running the site, & running
> the weak.org host for the mailing list?

	Website content is courtesy of Jon M, as far as I remember. When
Jon was leaving the area I setup BUUG.org, mirrored the content from
weak.org and added the "magic calendar" as the list there used to grow
quite out of date (not that it mattered -- it's not too hard to figure out
the 1st and 3rd Thursday on your own). Since the move, weak.org has been
as stable as it was when it was local, so thoughts of migrating the
mailing list were quickly abandoned and the "split personality" has been
working well.

> I'm organizing the BITP as an unpaid community volunteer.  I'll soon be
> looking to put a website & mailing list together for that entity.  I'm
> not a sysadmin, webmaster, net admin, list admin, no do I want to be.

	At least two of those jobs (webmaster & list admin) really do need
to be handled by someone who is active in the group. The actual install
and configuration of software and the running of the host itself is safe
enough to outsource.

> I guess the options are for me to:
> 1) find some shared managed hosting for $, or
> 2) find someone willing to assist with this.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for me for either of those options?

	You could try contacting the other local LUGs (SVLUG, BALUG,
EBLUG, LUGOD, BUUG) some of which run their own servers and might be
willing to help you with hosting and administration. Since you're meeting
at Cal, you could find out who is responsible for callug.cs.berkeley.edu
and try to revive it. Or you could use any of the hundreds of web hosting
companies out there that offer < $10/mo packages (some even offer full
UML/Xen/KVM installs at that price).