[buug] Untangle free sw features was: RE: ProgLangTalkPosbility??...

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Sat Jun 14 21:31:55 PDT 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 10:22:38 -0700 (PDT), "Andrew Fife"
<afife at untangle.com> said:
> John Reagan wrote:
>
> >Andrew - would you be interested in giving any talks
> >at the Berkeley/Americas ITP on July 5?
>
> What is ITP?

Installfest Talks Potluck, soon to be
TIPPP: Talks Installfest Potluck ProgrammingParty

> >2) I'm looking in a month or so to put together a
> >web site for the ITP. Would Untangle's free sw be of
> >any use for that?
>
> Untangle would be a good choice if the network is going to have users who
> you might want to protect from spam, spyware, viruses and "innapropriate"
> websites.  Since I don't think that is the case,

For use two places - at my home small network, and for the website I
will set up for this event.

For both, only BSD/GNULinux used.

For home, spam discarding is important.

For the website, which might be at my home, or perhaps a colo, or
perhaps on a shared server, spam & cracking  blocking are probably my
main interests.

the other reason to
> consider using Untangle would be our new (version 5.1 & later) GUI for
> configuring iptables.

I much prefer a GUI for alot of things (& probably iptables, which I'm
suspecting I'd use), things I merely want to _use_, not be an expert
configurer on.  GUIs presents all the major choices, so I don't have to
be looking up commands & systax, etc.

If you're not a GUI guy and don't have users to
> protect, you might consider ipcop, m0n0wall or pfsense.

                          wherever you are