[buug] Mark Shuttleworth at BALUG 2008-03-25!, and other BALUG News

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 13 23:38:48 PDT 2008

Mark Shuttleworth at BALUG 2008-03-25!, and other BALUG News

Contents:
* Mark Shuttleworth at BALUG 2008-03-25 (note change from usual date)
* Additional upcoming BALUG meeting dates and speakers
* Contacts, etc.

------------------------------

Mark Shuttleworth at BALUG 2008-03-25 (note change from usual date)

NOTE SPECIAL MEETING DATE: 2008-03-25 (no meeting on 2008-03-18)
For our 2008-03-25 meeting we are proud to present:

Mark Shuttleworth[1] of Ubuntu[2]/Canonical[3].

Mark is founder of the Ubuntu Project[2], and also founded
Thawte[4] (which specialized in digital certificates),
HBD Venture Capital[5] (invests in early stage South African companies
with high growth potential) and
The Shuttleworth Foundation[6] (non-profit organization that accelerates
social innovation in Africa with a particular focus on education), and
also formed Canonical[3] (commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, and committed to
the development, distribution and promotion of open source software
products, and to providing tools and support to the open source
community).  In April 2002, Mark also became the
First African in Space[7], arriving via Soyuz TM-34 to the
International Space Station and spending several days there, and
returning via Soyuz TM-33.

If you intend to come, please RSVP to: rsvp at balug.org
Why RSVP?  Well, we probably wouldn't turn you away, but the RSVPs
really help the Four Seas Restaurant plan settings/food/staffing and
help ensure that we're able to eat upstairs in the private banquet room.

Subscribe to our (low volume) Announce list[8] to be sure and be
notified of our upcoming events.

1. http://www.markshuttleworth.com/biography
2. http://www.ubuntu.com/
3. http://www.canonical.com/
4. http://www.thawte.com/
5. http://www.hbd.com/
6. http://www.shuttleworthfoundation.org/
7. http://www.africaninspace.com/
8. http://www.new.balug.org/#Lists

------------------------------

Additional upcoming BALUG meeting dates[9] and speakers (see our web
page[9] for more details):
2008-04-15 Eric Allman
2008-05-20 Jeremy Allison
2008-06-17 Andrew Morton
2008-07-15 Mike Linksvayer, CTO, Creative Commons
Subscribe to our (quite low volume) Announce list[8] to be sure and be
notified of our upcoming events.

8. http://www.new.balug.org/#Lists
9. http://www.new.balug.org/#Meetings%20(upcoming)

Contacting BALUG: http://www.new.balug.org/#Contact
Feedback on our publicity/announcements (e.g. contacts or lists where we
should get our information out that we're not presently reaching, or
things we should do differently): publicity-feedback at balug.org