[buug] Berkeley Installfest volunteers? June 7 Saturday?

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Tue May 20 02:52:46 PDT 2008

I think Berkeley needs a BSD GNU/Linux installfest.

1st Saturday of the month, ~12Noon to 6PM.  That completes the other 3
Saturdays - SVLUG & CABAL.

It should be within 1 mile
of campus to be convenient to students. Maybe also have a 1 hour
lecture/talk.  Maybe even have a pot-luck food thing, ala CABAL.

I'm not sure if it should be an enthusiasts only event, or also an
outreach event. Outreach would be like have it at People's park, or at
the Ashby flea market.  I suspect that is too much to aim for initially.

So, anyone here interested in assisting for the tasks necessary to get
it going?
1) web page - could be on buug.org
2) mailing list
3) location search & approval
4) announcements to user groups, other media, companies, etc
5) put-luck or barbecue organizing (bring a barbecue & charcoal. I think
in order to avoid financial burden on the organizer, we should ask
everyone to donate $1- for the briquettes, lighter fluid, etc.) Maybe
this should wait till we get an idea of how many people might attend.
6) speaker arranging
7) Request attendees to RSVP with an estimate of the probability they
think they will attend - 25 50 75 100% - so we get an advance indication
of the estimate of likely attendance.

Should it be indoor, or outdoor during the summer? Maybe in the closed
in grassy area by the Hearst pool gym CS buildings? Soda Hall? Dwinelle?
Berk Library? A local computer store? ISP? The park near Shattuck &
Rose? A berkeley school? Berk High School?  The park by city hall? ??? -
Power & Net access requirements?

An interesting thought would be to have it at ACCRC, should they be
interested, but a big downside is that students would likely find that
too far to be reasonable.

We could target June 7th 2008, Saturday, for the first event.  It would
be great to do even if we don't have all the items arranged for June.

What could you help out with? What suggestions do you have???

  john_re at fastmail.us