[buug] Berk InstFest Talks Potluck- 2) RSVP =75%

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Mon May 26 23:08:12 PDT 2008

On Mon, 26 May 2008 17:16:26 -0700, "Timothy L Shores"
<lee.shoe at gmail.com> said:
> June 7 is one of the few saturday afternoons i have free this summer,
> until September, and since I'm a newbie in search of wider, more local
> avenues of linux activity, it's lucky for me that you're considering
> this date. i'm not full 100% because i am scheduled to work from home
> that morning, on the hook until 1 PM, and though rare, it can and has
> gone much longer.

Thanks for RSVPing with a %. I hope you can make it. &, don't worry if
you can only make it for part of the time. There are no particular time
requirements for attendance - anyone can come for as much or little of
the event as they desire.

> i live in Berkeley, on holy hill, and would like it best if meet-up were
> in or near Berkeley. i recall someone mentioned the ACCRC as a possible
> venue, which i think would be very cool. given its distance down the
> hill, i offer to assist by carpooling 3 others (honda civic).

That was me (the person who's organizing this) who mentioned ACCRC.

On the positive hand, it's a great place, James Burgette(sp?) who runs
it is a great guy, they help reuse equipment which is good
environmentally & socially, and IIRC, they already have volunteers
coming down each weekend to help with refurbishing, & they have (slow by
Jim's statement) inet access.

On the negative hand, I really want to make this event easily accessible
to especially students.  During the recent "installfest for schools"
there, I announced the event to UCB students, & at least one who
attended (& was glad he did) told me it was time wise very taxing
getting down & back without a vehicle.

My conclusion based on all the facts so far: Have it on or very close to
UCB campus, not down at ACCRC.

ps: I'm working to get a campus sponsor, & a campus location, this week.
 I'll have a post or two to this list about that in a day or two.

> thanks for organizing this,

Thanks for the thanks. And thank you for your interest.

  john_re at fastmail.us

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?