[buug] partitions

John de la Garza john at jjdev.com
Tue Nov 18 15:11:52 PST 2008

I came across a hard drive a work that was mount like this

/dev/sda on /mnt/disk1 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)

I needed to make setup a hard drive that would work with that type of
mounting, so I ran fdisk,
made one partition, then ram mke2fs -j /dev/sdb

I normally run mke2fs -j on a partition like /dev/sdb1.

Is it safe to make a file system on a drive with one partition by
using /dev/sda instead of the individual
partition?  I'm wondering if this is something I should depend on or not.