[buug] ASUS Eee PC 1000H netbook

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 00:04:00 PDT 2008

Hi BUUGs and BUUGettes! New to this list, you may call me pewterbot9
(a Futurama fan pun). I've been a Linux advocate for many years,
though not a programmer...or as I like to say: "I couldn't hack my way
out of a virtual paper bag." I plan to attend your next meeting at Au
Coquelet (Nov. 6).

Being on a low income for so long, I've had to forego the pleasure of
high-speed access until now. I have ordered a netbook w/wifi, and
eagerly await FedEx delivery. Got it on eBay for only $315 (thanks to
$105 cashback on original price of $420). To view the specs (and a
review):

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4646

Though installed w/WinXP, I will bootup via an Ubuntu 8.04 flash
drive. Some of my netbook plans:

Hook it up at home to a larger screen, to view downloaded videos. Use
an external DVD and HD drive for their usual, obvious purposes.
Videoblog via webcam. So I'll need a decent video editor, nothing too
fancy...I'm experienced in this w/Windows98 programs. Maybe I'll be
pleasantly surprised to discover Ubuntu comes preinstalled w/a video
application or two. I'll check out Ubuntu's features over the next few
days.

Also: video chatting a la Skype...that is, the Linux version. And of
course, all the usual Internet 1 stuff: Usenet, e-mail, personal web
site, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm sure you BUUG folks have already gone wild over the netbook craze,
and know all about this Asus model I bought...prolly tore it apart and
put it back together again a zillion times by now. So I look forward
to sharing tips, stories, and adventures with other *nix advocates and
netbook afficionados. I also write tales, some of 'em
computer-sci-fi-ish, such as:

The Parable of the Laptop Billionaire
http://ezekielk.tblog.com/post/412459

Stay well, as we approach Samhain and the glorious Winter Solstice, as
Linux ascends to finally eclipse the great behemoth M$ whose name
shall not be mentioned.  :b

--
"A government is only as good as its operating system."