[buug] Fwd: Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter -- September 2008

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Sep 3 22:55:52 PDT 2008

Forwarding (very slightly redacted):

----- Forwarded message from usergroups at informit.com -----
     Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:50:24 -0400
     From: "InformIT User Groups" <usergroups at informit.com>
  Subject: Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter -- September 2008
       To: Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu

Issue 8—September 2008

Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter

Thank you for reading the Pearson Education User Group Program monthly
newsletter for official group members. Please pass this along to your
colleagues and share our news and offers.

=====News & Announcements=====

===Take our survey and enter to win free books!===
Enter to win five free books of your choice from InformIT when you fill out
a User Group Survey! We're asking questions to try and determine what kinds
of learning products you would like to see from us, and how you use social
networking sites for education or work-related purposes. All completed
surveys will be entered into a drawing for free books! Click through to the
simple survey from our User Group Welcome page
(http://www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome).

===Save the Date—Voices That Matter: Professional Ruby Conference===
Technical awareness and use of Ruby is skyrocketing, allowing it to quickly
become the most prominent, intriguing, and dynamic programming language
around. This conference will introduce you to leading Addison-Wesley Ruby
and Rails authors who are living and breathing these ground-breaking
technologies every day. Experience exciting keynotes, stimulating conference
sessions and case studies, with lots of time built in for informational
discussions, networking, and code sharing. Learn more about joining us
November 17-20 in Boston: http://www.voicesthatmatter.com/ruby2008

===Get Early Access to New Cisco Press Books===
Read evolving manuscripts for the following titles through the Rough Cuts
service from Safari Books Online:
   * CCNA Wireless Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA IUWNE 640-721),
     Rough Cuts [
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587056208 ]
   * Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Part 2 (CIPT2)
     (Authorized Self-Study Guide) [
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587056151 ]
   * Voice over IP Security [
http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587058227 ]

===Your Short Cut to Knowledge===
Short Cuts are concise, PDF documents designed specifically for busy technical
professionals like you. Each Short Cut is tightly focused on a specific
technology or technical problem. Written by industry experts and best-
selling authors, Short Cuts are published with you in mind—getting you
the technical information that you need, _now_. See a list of featured
Short Cuts:
http://www.informit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=135347

=====New Podcasts on InformIT=====

===Getting Started with JavaServer Faces (JSF)===
Kito Mann provides tips on how to start using JavaServer Faces to develop
web applications and introduces key components of JavaServer Faces 2.
http://www.informit.com/podcasts/episode.aspx?e=9e262318-4601-4d30-a4fa-c4413d86aa93

===Career Advice for Network Engineers from Jeff Doyle===
_Routing TCP/IP_ author Doyle shares advice to junior network engineers.
Drawing from his long career as a network architect, learn which technical
skills prove most valuable.
http://www.informit.com/podcasts/episode.aspx?e=04119ac0-1003-484a-b8a1-f498b60bf264

=====User Groups of the Month=====

===Denver, CO: Denver Visual Studio User Group is a technically-focused
independent group of professional developers who concentrate their interests
in the Microsoft Visual Studio and the .NET Framework development tool set,
emphasizing Visual C# and Visual Basic.
Learn more: http://www.denvervisualstudio.net

===Pleasanton, CA: East Bay Cisco Users Group is a non-profit, independent
group of enthusiasts and skilled professionals that meets monthly for the
open exchange of technical information regarding the networking industry.
This provides an opportunity among peers and members to become more
educated, informed and certified on Cisco technologies and solutions.
Learn more: http://www.ebcug.org/

=====In the Store=====

Cisco Secure Firewall Services Module (FWSM) [
http://www.informit.com/title/1587053535 ]
           By Ray Blair, Arvind Durai

Facebook Marketing: Leverage Social Media to Grow Your Business [
http://www.informit.com/title/0789738023 ]
        By Steven Holzner

Networking, Second Edition [ http://www.informit.com/title/0131358383 ]
        By Jeffrey S. Beasley

PHP and MySQL Web Development, 4th Edition [
http://www.informit.com/title/0672329166 ]
        By Luke Welling, Laura Thomson

Rapid Portlet Development with WebSphere Portlet Factory: Step-by-Step
        Guide for Building Your Own Portlets [
http://www.informit.com/title/0137134460 ]
        By David Bowley

Sams Teach Yourself SharePoint 2007 in 24 Hours [
http://www.informit.com/title/0672330008 ]
        By Mike Walsh

Sams Teach Yourself TCP/IP in 24 Hours, Fourth Edition [
http://www.informit.com/title/0672329964 ]
        By Joe Casad

Search Engine Marketing, Inc.: Driving Search Traffic to Your Company's
        Web Site, 2nd Edition [ http://www.informit.com/title/0136068685 ]
        By Mike Moran, Bill Hunt

Solaris 10 System Administration Exam Prep [
http://www.informit.com/title/0789737906 ]
        By Bill Calkins

The Complete Guide to Windows Server 2008 [
http://www.informit.com/title/0321502728 ]
        By John Savill

Upgrading and Repairing Microsoft Windows, Second Edition [
http://www.informit.com/title/0789736950 ]
        By Scott Mueller, Brian Knittel

Using the Asus Eee PC [ http://www.informit.com/title/0789738104 ]
        By Bill Lawrence

Voice over IP Security [ http://www.informit.com/title/1587054698 ]
        By Patrick Park

Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V Unleashed [
http://www.informit.com/title/0672330288 ]
        By Rand Morimoto, Jeff Guillet

_Upcoming releases in the InformIT store_
See a complete list of future titles from Pearson Education.
http://www.informit.com/store/browse.aspx?n=1cbd305f-d503-49fa-9699-8b2c06c9c520&b=comingsoon

Be sure you're logged in when shopping and have entered your membership code
to receive your 35% discount! _>> [ http://www.informit.com/store ]See
all titles_

=====Authors and Events: September=====

===September 1-30 — Cisco Subnet
Follow Cisco Press authors Jennifer Baker and Nader A. Nanjiani as they
guest-blog  during the month of September on Network World's Cisco Subnet.
http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/cisco

===September 6 — Codeapalooza
Join  fellow  software development professionals for Codeapalooza,
Chicago's  premier  community event aimed at software development with
Microsoft .NET and related technologies.
http://www.codeapalooza.com

===September 6-7 — BFusion & BFlex '08
Two days of hands-on training from the experts in Adobe Flex and ColdFusion
in Bloomington, Indiana. Get updates on Twitter
(http://twitter.com/bflex) or visit
http://bflex.info/ for more information.

===Have a User Group event in your area? Let us know!
E-mail details to usergroups at informit.com for consideration in next
month's newsletter. Please include "User Group Event" in the subject line.

=====User Group Offers=====

www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome

===Social Media Survey — We need your feedback!
How are you participating in user-generated content on the web? Visit
the User Group Welcome Page http://www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome to
participate in our member-exclusive Social Media Survey. Please pass
information on to your fellow group members, as all survey participants
will be entered into a contest to win a library of five print books of
their choice from InformIT!

===Join the InformIT Product Review Team
InformIT has an opportunity for you to join our team of reviewers to provide
valuable feedback and suggestions on current and new releases. Your feedback
allows Pearson imprints to continue publishing the best new titles available
on key technology topics. In exchange for your review postings on various
industry sites, we offer a complimentary review copy and the opportunity to
impact our editorial process. Learn more and view the topic calendar.
http://www.informit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=136682

===Linux World photos on Flickr
Check  out  pictures  from  the 2008 Linux World conference in San Francisco.
Pearson saw a great turnout and is looking forward to seeing you again
next year!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29451996@N07\

===Exclusive monthly contest
Don't forget to submit your entry for the August User Group contest. Visit
www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome or www.ciscopress.com/usergroup (for Cisco
User Groups) to complete the registration form. One entry per person
per month,
please. Come back each month for your chance to win!

===Affiliate Program gives back
Visit the Affiliate Program FAQ page today to learn more about an easy
and effective way to put money back in your group's pocket—by earning a
referral fee on every purchase on InformIT.
http://www.informit.com/affiliates/faq.aspx

===Follow us on Twitter
Make sure you're "in the know" by following InformIT, Cisco Press, and the
OnPodcasts Network on Twitter! Get the latest news, exclusive content and
more by joining today.
    http://twitter.com/informit
    http://twitter.com/ciscopress
    http://twitter.com/onpodcasts

===Want us to do all the work?
While respecting the privacy of every User Group's distribution list, we do
offer the option of sending the monthly newsletter directly to members'
mailboxes on your behalf. Interested? Just send your list to
usergroups at informit.com and leave the rest up to us! Single members can
also sign up to receive it each month by e-mailing
usergroups at informit.com with the word "Subscribe" in the subject line.

===Questions?
Please contact usergroups at informit.com and include your user group name,
relevant topic area, and type of inquiry in the subject line (for example:
"Southern California Cisco Users Group – Networking").

Did someone forward this to you? E-mail usergroups at informit.com with your
name, group name, group topic area, and e-mail address to subscribe.

InformIT, 800 East 96th Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240
© 2008 Pearson Education. All rights reserved.

Remove me from this list [
http://informit.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?<redacted> ]