[buug] Fwd: Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter -- April 2009

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 8 03:21:58 PDT 2009

Forwarded (slightly redacted):

----- Forwarded message from usergroups at informit.com -----
     Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:50:15 -0400
     From: "InformIT User Groups" <usergroups at informit.com>
  Subject: Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter -- April 2009
       To: Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu

Pearson Education User Group Program Newsletter
Issue 15 -- April 2009

Thank you for reading the Pearson Education User Group Program monthly
newsletter for official group members. Please pass this along to your
colleagues and share our news and offers.

QuickLinks

Monthly User Group Contest: http://www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome
InformIT Product Review Team: http://www.informit.com/productreviewteam
InformIT Store: http://www.informit.com/store
OnPodcast Network: http://www.informit.com/podcasts/index.aspx
Connect with us on Twitter and Facebook: http://www.informit.com/socialconnect

News & Announcements

I'm attending. Are you? Join us at TechEd 2009!
We’re excited to announce that the Pearson Education User Group Program will
be out in full force May 11-15 at this year's Microsoft TechEd event in
Los Angeles. Stop by booth #335-#337 to introduce yourself, check out a wide
range of products, and enter daily drawings!
   http://www.microsoft.com/events/TechEd2009

19th Annual Jolt Product Excellence Awards
Congratulations are in order! "Emergent Design: The Evolutionary Nature of
Professional Software Development" by Scott L. Bain was selected as a Jolt
Productivity Winner for 2009.
   Emergent Design: http://www.informit.com/title/0321509366
   See all Jolt Award winners: http://www.joltawards.com/winners.html

Vote for Your Favorite Programming Book!
We've got our own list of "top seeds" and "sleepers" when it comes to
programming and software development books. Visit www.informit.com/votenow
to choose your favorite from our pool of 16 titles and receive a special
offer. We'll announce the fan favorite on April 6.
   http://www.informit.com/votenow

Microsoft Subnet April book contests
In conjunction with Pearson Education, Microsoft Subnet is giving away 15
copies of two hot Microsoft books to readers in April. Readers will win
"Microsoft Voice and Unified Communications" by Joe Schurman (a $39.99
value). Another 15 will win "Microsoft Office 2007 On Demand" by Steve
Johnson (a $39.99 value). Both authors will also be blogging for Microsoft
Subnet, an independent news site dedicated to enterprise users. Deadline for
entries is April 30, 2009.

   Visit the Microsoft Subnet home page for entry information:
   http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/microsoft

   Read Microsoft Voice and UC expert Joe Schurman's blog:
   http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/8631

   Read a chapter excerpt from "Microsoft Voice and Unified Communications":

http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/microsoft/032709-microsoft-voice-unified-communications.html

Read Microsoft Office 2007 expert Steve Johnson's blog:
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/8745

Read a chapter excerpt from "Microsoft Office 2007 On Demand":
http://www.networkworld.com/subnets/microsoft/032709-ch3-office2007-ondemand.html

Featured RoughCuts
Get Behind the Scenes to stay Ahead of the Curve
www.informit.com/roughcuts

Mashups: Strategies for the Modern Enterprise_
By J. Jeffrey Hanson
Pub Date: May 15, 2009 (estimated)
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321591876?portal=informit

Drupal's Building Blocks: Quickly Building Websites with CCK, Views and Panels
By Early Miles, Lynette Miles
Pub Date: November 20, 2009 (estimated)
http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321620347?portal=informit

In the Store

CISSP Video Course
By Shon Harris
http://www.informit.com/title/0789739631

Effective REST Services via .NET
By Kenn Scribner, Scott Seely
http://www.informit.com/title/0321613252

Enterprise Web 2.0 Fundamentals
By Krishna Sankar, Susan A. Bouchard
http://www.informit.com/title/1587057638

Front End Drupal
By Konstantin Käfer, Emma Hogbin
http://www.informit.com/title/0137136692

Implenting Cisco IOS Network Security
By Catherine Paquet
http://www.informit.com/title/1587058154

Mashup Patterns
By Mike Ogrinz
http://www.informit.com/title/032157947X

Routing Video Mentor
By Kevin Wallace
http://www.informit.com/title/1587202425

Selling Online 2.0
By Michael Miller
http://www.informit.com/title/0789739747

The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 4, Fascicles 0-4
By Donald E. Knuth
http://www.informit.com/title/0321637135

The Greening of IT
By John Lamb
http://www.informit.com/title/0137150830

The Truth About Green Business
By Gil Friend
http://www.informit.com/title/0789739402

Tweak It and Freak It
By Paul McFedries
http://www.informit.com/title/0789738228

Be sure you're logged in when shopping and have entered your membership code
to receive your 35% discount! See all titles: http://www.informit.com/store

User Groups of the Month

Minnesota: PASSMN-Minnesota SQL Server User Group is a part of the
national PASS organization and serves the Minnesota SQL Server community.
PASSMN is a forum to exchange knowledge and ideas to better understand,
develop, implement and support existing and future SQL Server technologies.
For more information, visit http://www.mnssug.org.

Tennessee: Nashville Cisco Users Group is open to all Cisco network
engineers (or aspiring Cisco network engineers) in the Nashville area. NCUG
holds regular meetings on the third Tuesday or every month. For more
information, visit http://nashvillecisco.blogspot.com.

Authors and Events: April

April 3-27 -- Clara Shih
Clara Shih, author of The Facebook Era
(http://www.informit.com/title/0137152221),
will be making several appearances during April -- don't miss out!

> 4/2: Book launch party -- Azie Restaurant, San Francisco, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
> 4/3: Speaking -- Web 2.0 Expo San Francisco (http://www.web2expo.com)
> 4/7: Speaking -- Cloudforce London session
> (http://www.salesforce.com/cloudforce)
> 4/15: Speaking -- University of Chicago Graduate School of Business
> 4/16: Speaking -- Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University
> 4/20: Speaking -- UC Berkeley Haas Business School
> 4/21: Social Media author panel -- NBC, San Jose
> 4/27: Book signing party -- Stanford University Bookstore

April 7 -- "Measuring Your Security Program" Training Forum
Phoenix ISSA (Information Systems Security Association) members are
offering an opportunity for you to stay on top of an ever-changing
field -- earn 4 hours of CPE credits for certification maintenance!
Learn more at http://phoenix.issa.org.

April 14-17 -- Black Hat Europe 2009
Black Hat Europe has evolved into the most important information security
event on the European continent. Check out this year's strong four-track
line-up at http://www.blackhat.com.

April 25-26 -- LinuxFest Northwest
Join fellow Linux enthusiasts and satisfy your curiosity, get free stuff,
ask experts, explore the latest in software technology and experience the
magic of grassroots software. For more information, isit
http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/.

April 27-30 -- Voices That Matter: Web Design Conference
Top web design authors will bring their years of experience and knowledge to
this year's Voices That Matter: Web Design Conference in San Francisco.
Register now and download a free e-book at
http://www.voicesthatmatter.com/WebDesign2009/.

Have a User Group event in your area? Let us know!
E-mail details to usergroups at informit.com for consideration in next
month's newsletter. Please include "User Group Event" in the subject line.

User Group Offers
http://www.informit.com/usergroupwelcome

Special Savings on eBook Versions of Best-Selling Works by Scott Meyers
Scott Meyers' seminal C++ books -- "Effective C++," "More Effective C++," and
Effective STL" -- have been immensely helpful to hundreds of thousands of C++
programmers. All three are finally available as PDF eBooks. And not just as
any PDFs -- Scott has worked closely with Addison-Wesley's production team to
exploit the capabilities of electronic presentation and avoid the artificial
limitation often imposed on readers of electronic books.

Buy all three eBooks for $89.99, or buy the print book at a 20% discount
and get the eBook version for just $19.99, plus the print book ships for
free. Learn more at
http://www.informit.com/promotions/promotion.aspx?promo=136685.

Connect with InformIT via Twitter and Facebook
See a complete list of links to Pearson pages at
http://www.informit.com/socialconnect. Join and follow us today!

Questions?
Please contact usergroups at informit.com and include your user group name,
relevant topic area, and type of inquiry in the subject line (for example:
"Southern California Cisco Users Group--Networking").

== OnPodcasts from InformIT -- Now Available on iTunes ==

   OnSecurity
   Video: http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=257338614
   Audio: http://www.itunes.com/podcast?id=257862312

   OnOpenSource