[buug] SSL Signing for multiple Virtual Hosts

Wm. F. Honeycutt bill.honeycutt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 10:57:29 PST 2009

Hi,

I have a client who is renewing SSL certs for their domain.  They're
using Network Solutions web interface.  I securely transferred the
server private key to the client, then began to have reservations
about how to instruct them in having certs generated and signed.

The website for which we're signing certs has multiple (two) virtual
hosts/sub-domains like:  www.mydomain.com, special.mydomain.com, etc.

My question is for all of you "SSL experts" : )

Which of the "offerings" from Network Associates should the client
choose?  Wildcard or two individual Single certs?   "Extended
Validation" costs more, but it turns the address bar green, so I'm
recommending that they bite down and pony up for EV.

I think  Network Solutions generates a Chained Certificate, though I'm
not sure if that's necessary.  The old verisign key could be used to
generate and sign a new certificate.  Lots of imponderables

Anyone have tales of using Network Solutions?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

>From the CA's website:  .../SSL-certificates/index.jsp
------------------------------------- snip
Wildcard

    * Unlimited Sub-domains
    * $1 Million Guarantee
    * Issued in 1 Business Day

$419.00 /yr*

Extended Validation (EV) SSL Certificate

$399.00 /yr*

The highest assurance SSL certificate available at an affordable price

    * Applies to a Single Domain
    * $1 Million Relying Party Guarantee
    * Issued in 4-5 Business Days
    * Turns the browser bar green in newer high security Web browsers