[buug] WordPress's Dirty Little Secret

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 11:15:19 PDT 2009

The last thing I ever anticipate from a blog service, is that it does
not allow image mapping whatsoever. A month into using Wordpress for
my new blog, I discover, after much fussing and figuring out what's
wrong 'cause my first entry w/image mapping 19 homemade videos...I
finally discover that WordPress does not permit image maps!

And it was quite difficult tracking down the image map issue via their
search engine. It seems that if anyone brings this up, the thread is
immediately removed, or at best, closed. I found two brief threads on
this, where users were confused why they couldn't do image mapping.
WordPress never responded, instead locked the thread from any further
comments. These threads are:

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/image-mapsmore-advanced-html?replies=4

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/image-maps?replies=5

I'm really PO'd at WP for luring me into their service and wasting my
time. When I published my image-mapped entry, there was no alert that
image maps are not acceptable. This just confused me, thinking
something was wrong with my coding, thus I wasted over three hours
before finding out the real lowdown.

AFAIC, Wordpress can go down in flames. Anyone who recommends their
service, should include the fact that image mapping is verboten. I
prefer open source on everything I do, but in all honesty, Wordpress
is not a service I would recommend.

Now, I'm back on a new search for a decent blog service that
definitely allows image mapping...and what blog service doesn't other
than WordPress?

--
Ezekiel J. Krahlin
"A government is only as good as its operating system."