[buug] Ubuntu 8.10 update (more good news)

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:59:12 PDT 2009

On 3/16/09, Joseph Zitt <jzitt at josephzitt.com> wrote:

> Yup, i'm running Eebuntu NBR on my Eee 710, and really happy with it.
> It recognized everything straight off.

I tried first: ubuntu-eee ("easy peasy") and stantdard ubuntu. No wifi
recognition! Got around that by using a USB antenna, worked just fine.
I was happy with then...then I wanted to try eeebuntu 'cause it has an
elegant and very user-friendly interface. To my surprise, it
recognized the ahteros right off the bat! None of the ubuntu forums
tell newbies this, when they post the same problem...they are
instructed to go through a convoluted series of hoops with no
success...causing some to go back to windoze!

I think it would be much better if they said one of two things that
would resolve the wifi issue:

1) We acknowledge the problem, and until we come up with a good
atheros driver, your simplest and happiest solution for now, is to pop
$20-30 for a USB antenna.

2) This distro still needs work with that chip, but we understand that
eeebuntu recognizes atheros just fine.

Anywayz, I just got online via eeebuntu-NBR, from home with dialup.
For some reason, wvdial.conf worked just fine in another distro, but
the same script in this one, just craps out! But I can connect using
the ol' "pon" command after creating a pppdial script.

And that's how I was able to read your message tonight. I'm very
impressed overall with the Asus netbooks, and with the excellent work
by the Ubuntu community. Quite a breakthrough!

I will bring my Asus to this Thursday's meeting (I always have my Asus
with me!), so anyone interested can check out this particular distro
of Ubuntu. Absolutely beautiful! The intelligence and dedication of
its creators shines through!

--
Zeke Krahlin
"A government is only as good as its operating system."