[buug] Setting up torrent on wifi

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:48:49 PDT 2009

This may not be practical, but it's my only source of high-speed
Internet, which is public wifi. Most instructions these days assume
you have your own home-based broadband. Ttorrent software, no
exception.

Just installed "Deluge Bittorrent Client" on Ubuntu 8.10. In the
setup, it asks for "maximum  upload speed". I'm not sure what the
setting should be, when connected via public wifi.

I need to know how to test what one's upload speed is, in order to
find out. I guess. Is there a Linux command or application for this?

Also, my system will not be consistently "on" to  participate in
torrent seeding...though gladly will participate whenever I'm on wifi.
(Perhaps I can alter the settings when home, for 56kbps.)

In seaching "speed" via Synaptic Package Manager, I find a utility
called "speedometer"...anyone know if this is the right one for
testing on public wifi? TIA, all!

--
"A government is only as good as its operating system."
- Mighty Mouse Virus