[buug] very funny stupid oly562 at charter.net

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Mar 24 12:06:57 PDT 2009

Quoting John de la Garza (john at jjdev.com):

> Typically mailing list users don't demand to be unsubscribed....

Or have their shoes tied for them, after about the age of four.

> ...they simply unsubscribe themselves. This may involve
> reading this page:  http://www.weak.org/mailman/listinfo/buug

...which is one reason it's advertised at the bottom of every message.
Just in case people haven't noticed, every posting also sports these
headers:

        <mailto:buug-request at weak.org?subject=subscribe>

Notice in particular the List-Unsubscribe and List-Help data.  Those are
where one can send e-mail to either unsubscribe or to talk to the
listadmin.  In general, there is _never_ justification for sending a
purely administrative request for help to bother hundreds of fellow
mailing list subscribers.  That is about as rude and clueless as
standing up in front of a movie screen and shouting loudly that you
aren't enjoying it and want your money back:  You are pointlessly
bothering your fellow patrons.

That is true on really _any_ mailing list software:  GNU Mailman,
Majordomo, Sympa, ezmlm, etc.:  You can always append either -request or
-owner (varies) to the base-address of the mailing list, to discuss a
problem with the listadmin (in this case, to buug-request at weak.org).

People often complain "...but I didn't see the List-* headers, because
my mail program conceals them."  Maybe so -- but it didn't conceal
"http://www.weak.org/mailman/listinfo/buug" in the footer, where all
that information can be found, too.