[buug] Setting up torrent on wifi

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 30 23:10:02 PDT 2009

Ya want footnotes?  We got 'em.

> So, a better tool, even though it suffers the huge disadvantage of
> requiring you to _think_ a bit ;-> , is logic.  You start with the
> knowledge that, between you and any Internet site of interest, there
> will be some chain of routers.  You can see at least _most_ of those
> routers, maybe all[1], using the traceroute and tcptraceroute
> commands.[2]

[1] Some router devices get configured to conceal their interfaces from
probing utiltiies such as traceroute/tcptraceroute.  I happen to know
that's the case with some of the interfaces at Raw Bandwidth
Communications, my upstream link.

[2] Regular traceroute uses a series of UDP-type packets to probe each
step, reducing their time-to-live figures until "ICMP time exceeded"
gets returned.  (There's an option to use ICMP echo, instead, which
"ping" also uses.)  tcptraceroute is a separate implementation that sends
TCP-type packets, instead of UDP.

Among the reasons it's useful to have both:  silly firewalls that try to
block traceroutes, and ISP-shenanigans where they attempt to prioritise
traceroute bitstreams to make their networks appear faster than they
really are.