[buug] (no subject)

KAYVEN RIESE kayve at sfsu.edu
Fri May 1 19:13:54 PDT 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Tony Godshall wrote:

> [the WB wrote]
>
> [I wrote]
>> If you want something other than a wild guess, you might read this...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD#Significant_BSD_descendants
>
> And here's a chart of what variants are most popular as of 2005...
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BSD_operating_systems#Popularity

I feel like pointing out that PC-BSD is actually a FreeBSD.. just packaged
up and purported to be user friendly. I am about to try it out on the new
puter I am hopefully getting soon.

> Anyone out there in BUUG-land actually know for a fact what is used at
> U.C. Berkeley?  I assume it varies by department.  What are you

I was trying to think what they had in the 2nd floor of Soda.  I just took
a couple of courses there.  I think they were Suns.  That's the
non-windoze labs  {:)

> actually interested in, William, computer science?  General computer
> labs?  Engineering labs?  (I hear computer labs in universities are
> closing now that everyone has their own computers)

The general push now adays is that all these script kiddies run what they
want.  Sometimes Ubuntu, sometimes windoze, sometimes macs. etc.

>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix#2000_to_present
>
> Best Regards.
> Please keep in touch.
> This is unedited.
> P-)

   Kayven Riese, BSCS, MS (Physiology and Biophysics)
   (415) 902 5513 cellular
   http://kayve.net
   Webmaster http://ChessYoga.org