[buug] UNIX (R), etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 8 10:22:06 PDT 2009

> Once upon a time, what was UNIX(TM)/(R) was a particular set of code, or
> authorized derivative code.  That was quite a while ago.  One of the
> (relatively) good things that came out of the "UNIX Wars" was that UNIX
> (R) is not dependent upon a particular source code set or derivation
> thereof, but rather conformance to specifications and, for
> the right to carry the UNIX(R) registered trademark, passage of
> certification tests (submission to the tests for certification and
> branding is not free, though the standards upon which the tests are
> based are available for free (as in beer, not freedom)).

Quite.  It's really nostalgic to see anyone raising the hoary "BSD
isn't actually Unix", "Linux isn't actually Unix", etc., bits, because
didn't everyone who cared die off by the early 1990s?

And, before anyone goes there, Open Group may own the trademark (that
nobody really gives a damn about, any more), and the certification mark,
but I'm not wielding either one in commerce, so they can bite me.  ;->