[buug] Attn John from Thurs. meeting

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat May 9 14:02:02 PDT 2009

Pewter> But I can't test it out, as I don't have a second laptop handy.
Pewter> Another poster remarked "Create ad hoc network.You can do that
Pewter> easily at fedora 10 with network manager BUT at ubuntu creating
Pewter> ad hoc from gnome network manager or wicd does not work from my
Pewter> experience."

Pewter> But I seriously question that. Ubuntu/gnome is still Linux, and
Pewter> I'm sure you can create an ad-hoc network via the terminal. If
Pewter> you go to that thread I posted in the ubuntu forum, you'll see
Pewter> my comment,

Yes.  Forget Network Manager, which is one of the most tourturously
mangled pieces of the Linux puzzle (and yes each distro has a slightly
different one).  If you need WPA encryption look at wpa-supplicant.
If not you should be able to do what you want with just wireless-tools.

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD