[buug] Color laser printer compatibility

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon May 11 20:07:07 PDT 2009

Without details such as make and model, printer language(s)/protocol(s),
etc. it's rather difficult for folks to make much more than a guess as
to how compatible or not it may be on operating systems / distributions
not specifically stated as compatible.

That it works or is supported on several Linux distributions is at least
fairly encouraging, but without more information it's rather difficult
to know how well it may or may not work on other distributions - or
even those it's stated to work on.  E.g. if it depends upon binary blobs
from the manufacturer, that only work on Linux distributions for which
they produce that binary blob, and for which they release no source, one
might be looking at a printer that's mostly good for a boat anchor a few
years down the road.  Or it may be they release all the source, and
those they list as "supported" are just those they've created packages
for and tested their printer on, and provide at least some level of
"support" - may work perfectly fine on other distributions, ... just
may not have "support" (or any official support) from the manufacturer
for other operating systems / distributions.

references/excerpts:
http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html