[buug] Color laser printer compatibility

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Tue May 12 11:02:59 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 10:15:17AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> For many years, until some time around 2006-2007, a gentleman named
> Grant Taylor ran the linuxprinting.org Web site, and one of its many
> nice features was its Suggested Printers page.  What changed in '06-'07
> is that Grant turned over operation of the site and its extensive
> database on printer makes/models to The Linux Foundation.  Those guys
> have done a decent job, but Suggested Printers is among the features now
> dropped from the site (which itself moved to openprinting.org).

The old linuxprinting.org was a best of breed, hearkening back to the
days of HOWTOs that were both useful and up-to-date.  I clearly
remember having to buy a new printer, looking up the site, and being
surprised to find a recommendation for a Lexmark inkjet.  Very roughly
paraphrased, the recommendation was something along the lines of
"Inkjets usually aren't worth it (unless, as Rick noted, you need
color).  And Lexmark's generally suck.  But this one has PostScript
built-in and is on sale for a ridiculously low price.  Buy two."  I
used that printer for over a decade until I finally gave it away (or
sold it?).  Never had a problem.  And now I curse all printers that
don't have native support for PostScript.  RIP.

Claude