[buug] Color laser printer compatibility

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:20:47 PDT 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009 "Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> posted:

{{ That it works or is supported on several Linux distributions is at
least fairly encouraging }}

Thanks Michael. I'm sure Rick M. is correct, that I'd be no better off
with a sub-$200 color laser printer,  than with an inkjet. I decided
to fuggedaboudit.  :P

===============

On Tue, 12 May 2009 Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> posted:

{{ pretty much any inkjet -- tend to suck, but, if you use them only
when absolutely necessary }}

Then you run the risk of the color ink cartridge drying out through
infrequent use.  :(

{{ and stick to a dependable monotone laser for everyday, you pay
ghastly per-page charges only for a small number of pages per year,
and thus win. }}

My only real need is color, so I can print my decal designs.
Otherwise, I used to indulge in printing out my latest blogs and
tales, which are quite pretty as well as informative,  due to the
teensy illustrations. I enjoy looking at them on paper, over a cup of
java and a lemon square (or a juicy slice of blueberry torte, if truth
be known). I also shared w/some friends who like my writings, but
don't use computers (can't believe these kind still exist). I'll just
forgo this luxury, and pat myself on the back for drastically reducing
my paper output.

{{ For many years, until some time around 2006-2007, a gentleman named
Grant Taylor ran the linuxprinting.org Web site, and one of its many
nice features was its Suggested Printers page.  }}

Thanks for the reference page. It's still useful, and I hope your
friend Grant resume its upkeep; he knows printers!

{{ I honestly have no idea if you can't get anything but proprietary
crap for a mere $150.  However, when you do your Web site research,
you'll know. }}

Oh, I have no doubt about that...and have decided to drop entirely,
the idea of purchasing a printer. I have found a printout and
photocopy service in the Mission (on 16th near Valencia) that does an
excellent job...w/o requiring you to do it all yourself, thus having
to pay for the inevitable bad results that occur frequently, and you
have to wait a long time to get any problem resolved, everyone's so
busy-busy, and this is why I avoid Kinko's. In this place, someone
prints out your pages, so any that do not come out good, do not cost.
The last copy place I really liked, closed down two years ago.

So it is actually much more affordable to take my files to a printing
service: guaranteed top quality results for my colorful designs.
Especially when you consider cartridges that leak, cartridges that dry
out, and cartridges that just don't work. These printouts serve as
templates, which I then duplicate via photocopy, and convert to pin-on
buttons or self-adhesive decals.

Until I become rich (or at least moderately guppified) and can afford
an $800+ printer, I'll simply forgo the matter entirely. Sweep it
under the rug; all gone!

--
Zekeopolis Headquarters
http://ezekielk.tblog.com