[buug] Buug Digest, Vol 50, Issue 12

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri May 15 15:24:33 PDT 2009

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (pewterbot9 at gmail.com):

> Thanks much for all those excellent recommendations, Rick. I know
> they'll come in handy somewhere down the line, 'cause I can only put
> off for so long, w/o doing my own printing.

You're very welcome.  I have to admit that I boggle, every time I see
people boggling over how to select hardware that is (1) Linux-compatible,
(2) inexpensive, and (3) a newly released model that is available only
"new" on the retail market.

It's usually laptops, but the same principle applies to (various types
of) printers:  Why not discard criterion #3, since doing so makes the
other two massively easier to satisfy?

I almost never see people do that.  Instead, they scrimp and save to buy
some extremely new, expensive unit, then post complaints about how Linux
support lags for its newly-created chipset, printer language, etc.  And
I find myself thinking "Well, what'd you expect?"

Buying used is (speaking generally) smarter, not just because you get a
huge price break, but also because you can ensure that you're buying 1-2
year old chipsets that, by now, have rock-solid Linux support in
released distros.

--
Cheers,                      Notice:  The value of your Hofstadter's Constant
Rick Moen                    (the average amount of time you spend each month