[buug] Using swap on an SSD...or not.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 2 00:48:36 PDT 2009

Quoting Zeke Krahlin (pewterbot9 at gmail.com):

> I see what you mean. UUID, though correctly indicated in fstab, failed
> to be recognized after the first time around. So I used /dev/sdc5, and
> the swap works just fine. By default, Ubuntu uses UUID to indicate
> partitions. Would you recommend I switch from UUID to /dev/sda1 for
> the home partition, too, in fstab? I have no partitions except home
> and swap, so it's a very simple setup.

The best case for UUIDs involves mass-storage devices that you casually
add and remove from hot-swappable interfaces (such as USB, Firewire).
The idea is that you can specify mountpoints, item-specific action
rules, etc. that are completely unique to each physical device, and the
system will always do the right thing when you remove or add the device
from/to your system, without your having to do explicit "mount"
operations and/or mess around with the contents of /etc/fstab.

To stack the deck further in favour of UUIDs, also imagine that your
computer is used by a number of casual, non-technical users, to whom you
would not dream of granting root (or sudo-mediated equivalent) access.

If none of those conditions apply, _I_ would personally find it a great
deal more straightforward to use simple, old-fashioned /dev/* node