[buug] mail threading [Was: Iceweasel / Firefox]

Pewter Bot pewterbot9 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:54:30 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> I think many old-timers simply got tired of being yelled back at
> for trying to assert netiquette standards in public, no matter how
> politely.

I'm an old ttimer in that sense myself...and I have often brought up
the matter of trimming quotes...to no avial.  :(

I *could* have used Ian's approach, and just pointed to that RFC #
822 page, with no further explanation, as a "hint". Which would of
course, leave the person I address, in the dark...unless he were
psychic or something. Since that page *doesn't* discuss the matter of
trimming quotes...just as it doesn't discuss MUA.

> E.g., HTML-only postings are piped through w3m, such that I'm usually
> only barely aware that the poster didn't use plaintext,

My gmail default settings are for plain text. However, even plain text
has two options. Just yesterday, I changed "Use default text encoding
for outgoing messages" to "Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing
messages" in hopes of improving the situation.

Onward and upward!

--
Think Google's kewl? Think again:
http://www.google-watch.org/