[buug] mail threading

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Oct 3 09:14:33 PDT 2009

Ian Zimmerman:
> [...] I'd pointed you to the specific subsection about the In-Reply-To
> header.

For those still interested in the mechanics of message threading in
e-mail, you may find Jamie Zawinsky's essay on the topic informative:

	http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html

I'm told that it's showing signs of its age, but it's still the most
straightforward explanation of the topic that I can find.  Some folks
refer to this method as "the jwz threading algorithm".

An interesting point of note is that threading in mail is a back-port of
netnews threading, which has a slightly older history (despite e-mail
technically being older, it did not adopt threading in common practice
until relatively recently).

--
"Here is the memo if you didn't receive it: GNOME and
Free Software is all about *SAVING THE WORLD* not