[buug] mail threading

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sat Oct 3 11:42:44 PDT 2009

Ian> You mean, like, Gmail via the browser?  There are ways to use a
Ian> normal specialized mail program with Gmail, you know:

Zeke> You mean it actually works?

Yes, as long as you do your own splitting into folders and not use
Google's "tags".  I've done it myself for a few months to years.

Zeke> So there you have it. My explanation for why this happens at times
Zeke> was posted in an earlier message. I use the digest mode, so can't
Zeke> always use "reply to" any individual message...I have to recreate
Zeke> my message and use "send". Not everyone who responds to another's
Zeke> email sends a copy to the individual, just the list.

The last sentence seems to be tangential?  There's another little
flamewar lurking there, but whether you use digests or not seems to be
independent of whether you reply just to the list, to the poster, or
both.

I remember I've tried to use digest mode with some lists in the past
but I gave up on that precisely for this reason.  Do you have a strong
preference for the digest way?

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD