[buug] One Web Day Comes to UC-Berkeley

Tracy Rosenberg tracy at media-alliance.org
Fri Sep 18 15:10:35 PDT 2009

ONE WEB DAY COMES TO UC BERKELEY
Join Media Alliance and the Berkeley Center for New Media on One Web Day
to discuss our Internet future.

The Berkeley Center for New Media Commons
340 Moffit Library – Next to the Free Speech Movement Cafe
University of California at Berkeley
ON
OneWebDay
September 22, 2009, Noon-1pm

With Mitchell Kapor – Co-Founder of Electronic Frontier Foundation
Professor Steven Weber – Author of The Success of Open Source
Shel Waggener – UC- Berkeley Chief Information Officer
Jay Walsh – Head of Communications, Wikimedia Foundation
Professor Nicholas de Monchaux  - College of Environmental Design
David Glover- Director, Oakland Citizens Committee for Urban Renewal (OCCUR)
Tracy Rosenberg – Executive Director of Media Alliance

OneWebDay (http:www.onewebday.org) was envisioned by Obama Technology
advisor and open technology advocate Susan Crawford as the Internet’s
“Earth Day” – a celebration of all things web with a serious purpose – to
protect a free and democratic Internet.  The goal of celebrating OneWebDay
each year is to make visible a global constituency that cares about the
future of the Internet.

According to Ms. Crawford, “Earth Day was the model when I founded
OneWebDay in 2006. In 1969, one man asked the people to do what their
elected representatives would not: take the future of the environment into
their own hands. Peoples’ lives now are as dependent on the Internet as
they are on roads, energy supplies and running water. We can no longer
take that for granted, and we must advocate for the Internet politically
and support its vitality personally.”

Now chaired by Elecronic Frontier Foundation co-founder Mitchell Kapor,
OneWebDay is in its fourth year and marked by volunteer-driven efforts in
over 35 cities across the country and across the globe. This event marks
the inaugural OneWebDay activity on the UC Berkeley campus.

Join the Center for New Media and Media Alliance to hear about the growing
phenomenon of OneWebDay, celebrate the power of the Web for positive
change, and how to take action to protect what is precious about it.

This event will feature the release of  the Media and Democracy
Coalition’s position paper “A Public Interest Internet Agenda”,
www.media-democracy.net/node/510
###

--
Tracy Rosenberg