[buug] Using swap on an SSD...or not.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Sep 29 22:47:57 PDT 2009

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> My machines are not particularly resource-starved nowadays, so I could
> put up with the [gk]* _libraries_.  But it turns out that these libraries,
> in their initialization code, start _daemons_.  I draw the line at that.
> And of course all the libraries on either side are circularly dependent,
> so you can't cherrypick.

You know what's really annoying is that Firefox checks at startup to
verify that the GNOME gconfd-2 configuration daemon is running -- even
though _Firefox doesn't need gconf_, and isn't supposed to depend on
GNOME in any event (which I haven't installed, this being a sparse
Debian configuration with Window Maker).  If gconfd-2 isn't running, it
tries to start the damned thing -- and I can't find any way to turn off
that behaviour.

I tried replacing /usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 with a zero-length file,
but then Firefox issues an _error_ at startup complaining that gconf
isn't working -- and, again, there's no way to disable that behaviour.

After getting tired of seeing that error message, I've put
/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconfd-2 back and let the damned thing run -- but
I'm not happy about it.  Shouldn't have to.