[buug] PERL,FTP script

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Thu Aug 5 17:02:24 PDT 2010

> From: "Lemseffer. Tahar (SDA)" <lemseffert at sacsewer.com>
> Subject: [buug] PERL,FTP script
> Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 08:11:27 -0700

> I would like to write a perl script to be able to read from a
> directories. Search for daily reports to be send to . Must provide a
> beginning day, ending day , and amonth. This script will pull reports
> for days and month specified.

Well ...
FTP is rather messy protocol, and format of results returned - e.g.
directory listing - can and do vary greatly depending upon operating
system and/or FTP server software, nevertheless ...
Various perl modules - e.g. from CPAN will likely come in very hand.
Perl certainly has WWW::Mechanize ... not sure if it includes FTP
protocols, but it might, or there may be other modules that would well
deal with FTP.  Perl also has an expect module, which might also be
quite useful.  There are also local Perl user groups, e.g.:
San Francisco Perl Mongers http://sf.pm.org/
Silicon Valley Perl http://www.svperl.org/
Oakland Perl Mongers still has a list, though they've not met regularly
in quite a while: