[buug] El Blog del Narco

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at goct.net
Sat Aug 14 03:01:36 PDT 2010

Quoting John Withers <grayarea at reddagger.org>:

> Just go straight to a low traffic topical newsgroup and hijack it...
>
> There ya go.

Jeez, I wasn't even considering newsgroups, since they are no longer a
viable venue for contributing worthwhile comments (for the most part).
I'd suggest progressive and liberal web forums, such as Alternet.org,
Commondreams.org, and Buzzflash.org...where you'll be guaranteed of
reaching a wide audience that is also thoughtful, intelligent, and
passionate about justice.

Though I may be wrong: hijacking a low traffic newsgroup just might
drum up the desired attention...depending on your intent and subject
matter. I might use some newsgroups as a handy adjunct...though you
need to find those relevant to your interest, that are not submerged
in a sea of spam, or ravaged by right-wing extremists and nasty
trolls. Some worthwhile newsgroups do remain relatively undamaged,
still...so I'm not knocking newsgroups entirely, and I thank you for
your suggestion, John.

There are numerous other excellent forums and wikis one can
participate in, that deal specifically with Inernet security, Linux
issues, social media, and so on. Such as:

OLPC (1 Laptop per Child)
http://laptop.org/en/participate/index.shtml

Pirate Radio Party
http://smf.rantradio.com/index.php?board=21.0

Open Source & Linux Forums
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/

Ubuntu Forums
http://ubuntuforums.org/

Hope Forums (includes hacktivist topics)
http://talk.hope.net/

Of course, those I just mentioned are a ridiculously tiny drop in the
bucket, as there are *countless* excellent forums and wikis out there
that enable a poster to become politically or socially empowered, if
you are truly passionate about a cause. No waiting for your raised
hand to be noticed in a large sea of folks at a noisy gathering (where
if you are noticed, you get maybe 60 seconds to speak your mind and
heart); no waiting to see if, perchance, your important letter to the
editor gets choses among hundreds, to be printed; no exhaustive and
often failed attempts to create your own group of like-minded folks,
where you really only have wasted a heck of a lot of time for nothing,
perhaps even paying big bugs to reserve a room for your hopeful
gathering that never pans out.

You need to select a forum with intelligent members...that would be
those of a progressive bent. Then, you need to see just how large the
online community is. Check how often ideas/comments are posted...you
want a daily or weekly avalanche of posters, not a forum with just a
few dozens comments per week. You should also make sure the forum
permits comments of essay length, no less. You certainly don't want to
be limited to a few lines or paragraphs, when you have something
important to disseminate.

And you might consider *not* settling for just one forum community
that proves to be your cup of tea. You could find two, or even three,
forums dealing with the same interest, that are all worthy of your
contributions. Finally:

You can also start your own blog with a ready-made, large community of
users, activists, and experts. Such as Wordpress, Blogspot, and
LiveJournal. And in the case of wiki hosting, check out this list of
popular wikis (some free):

http://wiki.wetpaint.com/page/Wiki+Hosting

Also this:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiFarms