[buug] Raw image processing tools

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Aug 16 14:25:41 PDT 2010

Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz at buug.org):

> GIMP has a lot of these algorithms, but it can (currently) only work on
> 8-bit images, which means you lose some color resolution before you even
> start, and GIGO applies.

CinePaint is a GIMP fork for 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit raster images.
Might be useful in conjuction with, say, UFRaw.

My understanding is that the big problem with raw raster formats is
that they aren't standardised.

Adobe's Digital Negative Format (DNG) might become a commodity standard
for that purpose, but hasn't persuaded the camera manufacturers, yet.