[buug] Raw image processing tools

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Mon Aug 16 20:16:56 PDT 2010

>>>>> "Rick" == Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

Rick> CinePaint is a GIMP fork for 8-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit raster
Rick> images.  Might be useful in conjuction with, say, UFRaw.

Indeed!  I suspect that, as so very often, you've started the subthread
that will lead to the eventual solution :-)

Rick> My understanding is that the big problem with raw raster formats
Rick> is that they aren't standardised.

Rick> Adobe's Digital Negative Format (DNG) might become a commodity
Rick> standard for that purpose, but hasn't persuaded the camera
Rick> manufacturers, yet.

That may be a big problem from the big picture, "world domination" point
of view.  It is not a problem for me since dcraw (and ufraw which uses
dcraw code for the initial import) recognizes the native formats of both
my cameras, as well as DNG which one of them can be prodded to output.
So my problem really is just finding a tool that can efficiently edit a
normal format (tiff or ppm) but at 16 bit depth.

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD