[buug] El Blog del Narco

Zeke Krahlin ezekielk at goct.net
Tue Aug 17 17:25:25 PDT 2010

Quoting Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:

> That much, I'll certainly agree with.  However, all it takes is a couple
> of worthwhile groups to make Usenet worthwhile.  The existence of
> several thousand others that don't interest you is rather beside the
> point.

I have just resumed my newsgroup activites...and am searching for any
useful groups that remain viable, for my topics of interest. So far,
no luck...they are mostly flooded with spam. I really miss my frugal
spending groups, political/philosophical discussions on gay issues,
alternative medicine, conspiracy, herbal wisdom, creative writing, and
so on. So far, I've founding nothing worthwhile remaining. Though I
hope to find some. Granted, many of the computer-tech groups have
weathered the trogloydyte invasion better than most others...and that
would be your major field of interest. For me, it is just one among
various others, Internet-wise.

I understand all your points Rick, however I still have to conclude
that you'll have much better odds with web based forums, if you choose
wisely. Better than any newsgroup. I am talking about more than just
getting something posted into an Internet database.

I give you Wordpress as a great umbrella 'cause it is a blog service
not limited to a single topic...but it does have a ready-made
community with excellent tools to promote your works across that
community...and across search engines. You could do a lot worse. It's
popular worldwide, with a large base of intelligent users. Your odds
of getting known for whatever, are much better via Wordpress, than a
newsgroup.

Even if there *are* some newsgroups worth reading and posting
to...most of the public's attention is on web-based media, and that is
where one has a better choice of gaining a popular voice. No
guarantee, of course...one could be the most excellent, entertaining
writer in the world, and still go unknown. In fact, I've seen many
excellent blogs (and newsgroup posts) worthy of such public reknown,
but it just doesn't happen. Other factors are involved.

I'll stop there with examples, as you're baiting me. Please, have the
last word; I need to get back to my renewed Usenet activities, see
what I come up with.

--
Zeke Krahlin
http://zekeblog.wordpress.com