[buug] bookmarks

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Wed Mar 10 02:22:33 PST 2010

I am sorry to report that this experiment has so far been an utter and
dismal failure.

These projects are there, but most of them look left for dead.
I'm afraid that a good part of our community _did_ get seduced by the
ready-made hosted services and concluded that a free alternative is not
needed.

>From those that are alive, two made the quarterfinals: scuttle and getboo.
Both are PHP and exhibit problems typical to that tool.  In the case of
scuttle, despite the PHP nonsense, I was at least able to create a
bookmark.  But I at once saw that it doesn't do what I desperately need,
anyway: it doesn't allow me to search for multiple tags, so the tags
are just another form of tree hierarchy.  In the case of getboo, I don't
even get that far:  I can create a bookmark but not modify it with tags,
apparently due to database errors.  (It also won't even let me _try_ to
tag unless i make the bookmark public.)

If you can share your vi bookmark macros, I think I'm ready to try
them. :-P

--
Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org>
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD